Monday, February 18, 2013

T.V. and Crazy Children

So today I came across a news report stating that if you change what your children are watching on t.v., their behavior would change. This really got me thinking. Could this be true? I definitely have some unruly boys on my hands at times. Landry, for starters, loves to fight. He loves Batman, Superman, Spiderman, etc. He loves dressing up in costumes and acting like his favorite super hero. Now this could be typical boy behavior. It could also be that he watches a lot of super hero movies. He even went through a cat woman phase. Wanted his nails painted and to wear my red high heels. And then there's Cooper. He has a mouth on him sometimes. I didn't think the back talking started until the pre-teen years. I was wrong. He's six and really knows how to sass me.

After hearing this report I started going through in my head all the shows my boys like to watch. Several shows on Disney and Cartoon Network have smart mouth characters. Off the top of my head I can think of the boys saying, "What the..." all the time. Today I heard one of the Ninja Turtles say that. I don't like that. I want them to be able to watch shows they enjoy but at the same time want to raise respectful young men. Cooper has called the librarian at school a idiot and the lunch monitor a crazy old man. I would never have done these things as a kid. Times have definitely changed but I don't want my kids to think its ok to speak to adults the way some of the kids on these shows do.

So starting tomorrow I think I am going to go a week really doing a better job monitoring what the boys are watching on t.v. and observing any changes in behavior. I want to be the best mom to them. I want them to think back to their childhood when they are older and think about how much fun growing up was. At the same time I want them to know right from wrong. I want them to be God fearing, law abiding citizens. Kind-hearted and loving. I want to do what's best for them. We will see how this goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment